AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ad About Missing Person

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to know if we could create an Adwords Campaign for a missing child (abduction) in the European Union, or if that is considered to be a violation of AdWords Policy.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Ad About Missing Person

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

No, that is not proper use of AdWords. That would be better suited to Facebook, Twitter, etc..

Kind Regards,

James

Ad About Missing Person

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@J Clemens

I agree with Search, but Display and Video should work. Both great platforms for reach. As long as it doesn't shock, I can't think of any policies it would violate.

Ad About Missing Person

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@David Kyle,

Of course it would depend on the website... but even still I would not use AdWords for this purpose, even if it did not violate policy. The effectiveness is far better with social media... where it has the chance to reach a large audience through paid promotion and then get sailed even further with sharing and even a viral uptake. 

Cheers,

James

Ad About Missing Person

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@J Clemens

YouTube has the same potential for virality minus in-stream. I don't want to argue strategy, I'm just taking issue with your statement, "that is not proper use of Adwords."  

Ad About Missing Person

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@David Kyle,

We are each adding value to this thread in the way we perceive the help inquiry. I stand by all of my statements, 100%... and you stand by yours. And here we are. Smiley Happy

All the Best,

James 

Ad About Missing Person

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@J Clemens

yet you have not produced any evidence or examples that back up your claim that the OP's inquiry results in improper use of Adwords. Can you do that? Your statements are subjective opinion, and not related to any real Adwords policy... which is what the OP EXPLICITLY asked about.

Re: Ad About Missing Person

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @David Kyle,

I have seen it attempted on two different occasions in the past 3-4 years and both times the accounts were suspended. I have also been a part of such movements on Facebook, Twiiter and Instagram that had a worldwide reach rather fast and for very little money (next to nothing).

With over 26 years experience in advertising, I advise what I believe to be the best course of action as if it were myself or one of my clients. I did not cite AdWords policy, I stated "proper use" as in: best, ideal, preferred, etc.. AdWords policy cannot be correctly balanced without seeing the actual website. Almost anything, in theory, can be marketed via AdWords... but the website used ultimately defines if it can.

Further, there are countless threads in these forums of campaigns/accounts that have been suspended within a month of starting them whereas the actual AdWords policy in violation cannot be determined/cited. I also field many requests each month to my own website of the same nature. Some uses of AdWords hit grey areas, are messy or require a delicate operation to remain... which most new members asking for advise here are not going to be able to navigate well. Their entry into AdWords would not solve their problem, spend their money wisely or bring relief in any way, in my opinion.

Balancing all of the above, I chose the wordage I did to advise.  

Again, I stand by the statement I made: 

No, that is not proper use of AdWords. That would be better suited to Facebook, Twitter, etc..

The OP has the information they do... they can proceed as they wish. I am done discussing it with you. Thanks for your input, advice and suggestions. 

Kind Regards,

James

Ad About Missing Person

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your replies, you have helped a lot! @J Clemens @David Kyle

Ad About Missing Person

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@James_Clemens

well, at least you admit you're basing your statement on subjective opinion, which is a step in the right direction.