AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Account suspended for a product also sold on thousands of other sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I had my account suspended for selling a product: CardSharp from IaniSinclair.

Reason: it is considerate a weapon. Same product is sold on amazon.com, .de, .co.uk, .es. Also on wallmart, thinkgeek and thousands of other websites.

I made a list with some of the biggest and sent it to support, asking to review their decision. Also I have requested, received and sent an official position from the brand.

Funny thing is that I sell this product for more then 6 months now and I run a very succesfull campaign for display that were approved: more then 13M impression, more then 34k clicks, CTR: 0.26%, total spent about 2,600 USD.

Now, suddenly, they suspended my account.

What is going on?

Here is the e-mail I received:

We wanted to alert you that one of your sites violates our advertising policies. Therefore, we won't be able to run any of your ads that link to that site, and any new ads pointing to that site will also be disapproved.

Here's what you can do to fix your site and hopefully get your ad running again:

1. Make the necessary changes to your site that currently violates our policies:

Display URL: fungadgets.ro

Policy issue: Weapons
     Details & instructions: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176077?hl=en&utm_source=policy&utm_medium=email&utm_c...

2. Resubmit your site to us, following the instructions in the link above. If your site complies with our policies, we can approve it to start running again.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Account suspended for a product also sold on thousands of other si

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Valentin,
You can't fight city hall I'm afraid. If Google says you can't advertise it, you can't. It's their platform. I know your frustration, I've been there. But if you want to use their system, you have to play by their rules.

Trust me, you're not going to win this one.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Valentin,
You can't fight city hall I'm afraid. If Google says you can't advertise it, you can't. It's their platform. I know your frustration, I've been there. But if you want to use their system, you have to play by their rules.

Trust me, you're not going to win this one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hm... but there are so many others websites that are selling it. This is a popular and quite common product. Searching on google.com reveals 400k results.
In google.de (germany), when I search it, I had 3 text ads pointing to the product and using the product name. The manufacturer told me they never encountered this problem until now.

It is obviously a mistake.

Sure Dave, it is their platform and if they do not want to allow weapons or other type of product, it is their right. But what to do when one operator make a confusion and consider a product as something it is not? Is not normal to ask for review and clarify the situation?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Valentin H

Did you find a solution to your problem regarding site suspension because of weapon policy?
I have read some posts on this claiming that they aren´t allowed to advertise although others are, just like you. So I am curious you had a positive solution?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately not. I removed the product from my website. It was only one product, I sell gadgets with posh design and other smart stuff. I have nothing to do with weapons or anything similar so it was simpler to remove it.
I believe they do not have time to read all the appeals. I got no answer.
Finally I removed the product and then the account went back live in less then 24 hours. Too bad, it is a nice product. :-)

P.S. Isn't the general rule of forums to decide if a problem is solved by the one who initiated the topic? I never set the status on "solved" and neither I accepted a proposed solution.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Did you remove the product and then submitted a new ad, by which means the machines noticed you had removed it?
Maybe support check your account after that and noticed nothing was wrong (anymore).
Anyway, I do also think they could bother to respond at least.

Regarding solutions in forums, I had the same conception you have, but I am not sure, maybe people higher up in the hierarchy could "solve" without having started. I notice that also I can choose a solution for this topic. I am at "rising star" level.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No David, in the e-mail I received announcing that my site is suspended there was also a link where I could notify them when the change they solicited is done - in this case, removing the product.
I also have a good relation with my account manager and with customer support also, so after I removed the product they jumped in and accelerated the review. My objection was not on Google policy but on the fact that the product in cause was not violating them.

For "solution" resolution, I believed it should belong to the one who started the topic, this seems logical to me. In this case, the problem was not solved at the time someone set it on solved.