AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Account Suspension, left in the dark

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I posted about this yesterday and did not want to post the URL of my site but now see I can edit my posts and will just delete the URL in a few days. After an extensive month spent learning everything "adwords" I felt I had fine tuned my campaign and was getting ready to enable all ads this week. I spoke with several reps who were very happy to help me get started spending that money! I was told conflicting things about policies and what I could and couldn't have on my site (it is an adult chat line) and after a few days of all of my ads being disapproved they were suddenly all approved and listed as "adult" and "non family". Totally o.k. with that! I received an email that one of my destination URLs was incorrect and upon checking, it was absolutely fine and working so I left it. Four days later, I received an email that my account was suspended. This happened yesterday morning (3:30 am EST was when the email came through). I put in a request to lift the suspension however, there is nothing I can fix because the URL that was pointed out to me as being inaccurate was just fine so I simply changed the URL to the index page.

I did review the policies and there is absolutely nothing that seems to apply to my site other than the "adult content". My account is obviously of adult nature, however, it is extremely tame and there is no nudity at all. I was given the green light to run my campaign as "adult" and "non family" so I don't see how this could apply. There are 16+ similar sites currently advertising on Adwords and I was shocked to see not only nudity, but explicit nudity as well as various simulated sexual acts yet these sites are able to advertise - (scratching head . . .)

At this point I am left completely in the dark and have no reason to think anyone at Adwords will get back to me. I've sent emails to the rep that was initially so eager to help me and they have all gone ignored.

So, here's the URL - <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>  Is there anyone from Google on this board that can look into this for me and help me get things resolved? I took great pains to make sure my site was tame, compliant and my campaign was optimized to the fullest. I've spent countless hours on this, please help!

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, in order to remove sensitive information, per a request from the Original Poster.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Account Suspension, left in the dark

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below> violates a number of sections of the Policy;

There is a violation of the  adult content section of the policy. In addition, other sections are in violation. (Privacy, advertiser claims...  are  just 2 to be mentioned, among others.)

My opinion: it cannot be promoted on google.

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, in order to remove sensitive information, per a request from the Original Poster.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your response but I don't understand which violation of the adult content section you are referring to. I also don't understand how there is a "privacy" violation and what advertiser claims are we talking about? Can you be specific so I can make the necessary changes? I don't know how I'm suppose to second guess vague policies that are clearly open to interpretation. Additionally, EVERY SINGLE phone chat business advertising using adwords is far more explicit than my site. Full frontal nudity, hook up claims, obscene photos, etc; - how is google turning a blind eye to this? I have made no changes to the site since my campaign was officially approved last week!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Please delete my URL from your post, thanks.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

We are volunteers here. Checking the specifics of  a given site  violation is  a time consuming and much labor. This is beyond our scope. Once the violations are  identified / recognized,  it's up to the user to read the Policy (or any other  relevant documentation), fix the site  and verify compliance.  Indeed, this is a lot of work!

Furthermore; In this specific case, your business  model seems to violate the policy. Thus, getting into specifics would not help much. In my view - this business model cannot be promoted on Google.

As for your request to remove the URL. This is a public forum. The goal is, that all users, as well as  others who search,  in the future, for  a similar case of  adult suspension,  could learn and benefit  from this  case. As said, in my earlier reply, If you wish  members of this community to comment, you must  share the URL.

I will escalate the case to Google. It's up to Google to decide whether to  edit the post and remove the URL. 

@Buzzb 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
While I appreciate your time, since I already listed the URL, there was no reason for you to put that in your response to me especially since I expressed concern over this to begin with. I can easily delete the URL by editing my post which is why I listed it so I would assume you can do the same on your end and I would much appreciate it. If you can't cite specifics, then how can you definitively say my site is not in compliance? That seems to be an opinion rather than a fact. This business model can in fact be promoted or am I delusional in saying that there are dozens of other companies doing the same thing? Just type in "phone sex" in Google and see for yourself what comes up. I was told be the adwords rep that my business model was perfectly acceptable as long as it was listed as "adult" and "non family". Perfectly understandable. It seems that there are no hard, across the board policies for this type of vertical and approval or disapproval is at the discretion of the actual person reviewing things. One person may approve one site while another may disapprove a similar site. Perhaps the person reviewing my site is a fundamentalist Christian, who knows? You keep stating that my business model is violating Google's policy, however you can not state a specific violation so you must be basing your opinion on the fact that it is an adult site - period. Again, do a search for phone sex and you'll see that Google does in fact accept my business model. Now, why they choose not to accept my particular site seems to be as easy to find the answer to as the purpose of life. One thing I have noticed in my dealings with adwords reps is that one hand does not know what the other is doing therefore they can not provide you with any concrete information. They do not communicate well with the review team and there is a tremendous amount of misinformation being handed out. I have since decided to spend my money with Bing and other advertisers which may be an actual blessing in disguise. I would still like to advertise with Adwords, but their customer service for the small business person is beyond lacking. It seems clear they would rather deal with partners and big spenders as they seem to have more direct access to the powers that be. The poor shmucks like me have to just sit back twiddling our thumbs, hoping and perhaps praying we'll get a response and some actual assistance. Interesting exercise for me nontheless. On a very serious note, I understand you are a volunteer and I sincerely appreciate the time you've spent assisting me thus far, thanks again for your time.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Per your request Google edited the post and the URL was removed;
Please note, though, that by removing the URL this thread has no added value to future users. Thus, we cannot help further.
This community is about sharing and collaboration of know-how about  Adwords. It is not a "one on one" tutorial.

And a remark: reviewing of a site is done based on a rigorous procedure. Personal beliefs have no effect/ bias.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Based on what I see with my own two eyes, I respectfully disagree that personal beliefs do not come into play with reviewers. Some sites are allowed while other far tamer sites are not. There is a human element and there are no exact, finite rules regarding policies pertaining to adult oriented sites of this nature. If there were, Google would make them clearly available and I would have known from the onset what to do and what to avoid. Instead, I have been left in the dark attempting to gain insight, not necessarily "one on one" tutoring as you put it. I feel that this thread will indeed help educate people in terms of how nebulous some of Google's polices are and how difficult it is to get any accurate information from anyone at Google when you're just a small business owner attempting to run your own Adwords campaign. Google is very opaque and their policies are open to interpretation so I'm not sure what kind of "rigorous procedure" their new accounts review team follows but it's so cloaked in secrecy it's simply difficult to believe there's any across the board do's and don'ts. They should simply not allow ANY adult oriented business to run adwords campaigns, period. One has to wonder, why some are allowed yet others are not?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Have you read the Policy? The entire Policy, as well as, the section about adult content.
Carefully read the policy. I think your questions will be answered after reading the Policy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I have read the policy. Certain adult content is allowed with restrictions. One of the restrictions is that you may not promote sexually suggestive content - an extremely nebulous, personally subjective guideline. Every single one of my ads as well as my site were approved - period. And then, for no reason, I was suspended - period. Do a search for "phone sex" and see all of the sponsored sites that come up. Most have nudity and ALL are promoting a sexually suggestive business model. The mere fact that Google allows people to bid on keywords such as "phone sex" (one of the tamest keywords) is proof enough that they seriously contradict their own policies. So Mr. MosheTLV, I have indeed read Google's policy in its entirety and my questions are no more answered now than they were a week ago. In fact, I am dumbfounded. Perhaps Google is at its quota/threshold for phone sex websites and simply does not want another one at this time, who knows? THAT'S THE PROBLEM - No one seems to know. Perhaps all of the phone sex sites currently in adwords are being managed by Google Partners, something Google seems to be pushing these days. Perhaps I called too many times and asked too many questions. Perhaps I was able to refine my campaign from an average click charge of $7 to $1 and Google no like. That was incidentally right before I received the suspension emails.... Hmmmmm. In any case, in the absence of any real answers that are specific and not archaic, I am left to surmise my own answers.