AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Account Suspension - Need Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

We run a portfolio of sites and have had a solid history with Adwords - It's a mix of national/international and local sites. Over the last 2 years, we've invested a huge amount of money/resource into Search/Display/Video ads through the Adwords platform. We have built a business around it.

I'm desperately trying to get the account back into good standing. We had a site in our portfolio receive a suspension, which than instantly suspended our entire account. We've made all of the necessary changes to the site in question and we've deleted all disapproved ads from the account. We love Adwords and depend on it for our business - I feel absolutely sick about this and felt it may be worthwhile to reach out to this community for any help/guidance.

What I've Done So Far:

Submitted disapproved site for re-review

Submitted an Appeal For Account Suspension

I would be devastated to lose our Adwords account, especially since the other sites in our portfolio were compliant and seemed to be running within the guidelines. Any advice on what else to do would be greatly  appreciated  - This just happened last night (about ~12 hours ago).

Site Suspension Info:
     Policy violation: Untrustworthy promotions

Account Suspension Info: (Happened moments after the site suspension)

Policy violation:
Untrustworthy Behavior

I know this is a severe issue and taken very seriously by Google. I also take this very seriously and really hope that I'm able to salvage the rest of our Adwords portfolio. Thanks for listening Smiley Sad

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Coast
July 2017

Re: Account Suspension - Need Help!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Coast,

That is where you created a bigger problem. 

An agency or third party provider of services is suppose to create an AdWords Manager Account, then sync individual Adwords account to it. Each business/website must have their own AdWords account. This is a must. 

When operated as I state, not only does performance history stay isolated to each account (which greatly matters), so does suspensions and any issues. 

Campaigns were never meant to be used in the way you are using them. Neither were accounts or ad groups. 

Company A sells shoes = Their own AdWords account.

Company A promotes shoes on YouTube = Video Campaign.

Company A promotes shoes on Google Search = Search Campaign.

Company A promotes red sports shoes = Ad Group 1.

Company A promotes black dress shoes = Ad Group 2.

Company B sells balls = Their own AdWords Account.

Etc.

Company C sells boxes = Their own AdWords Account. 

Etc.

Because of the way you were structured, everything is suspended and will remain as such unless Google Support reverses their decision... which is done probably <10% of the time (just a rough guess as actual numbers cannot be disclosed). It's rare with your type of suspension. And having your account structured the way it is/was only added to the untrustworthy behavior status. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Indeed, this is severe violation that stems from the core of the business model. 

Pls share the website.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your time Moshe - The website in violation is, here.

The site is a personal loan site - https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2464998?hl=en

Maybe it could also be their ambiguous call to action?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Personal loans , generally are not allowed.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2464998?hl=en-GB

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like you were operating with one AdWords account and then using campaigns to promote various websites. Is this correct? 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

That is correct. 1 Account running several different websites/campaigns.

We acted as an agency and helped setup local business and national level campaigns.

Running everything under 1 account.

The niches we were running:

Personal Loans (The Trouble Maker)

Events

Venue Tickets

Local Public Service Announcements

Jobs & Job Opportunities

Tourism 

Personal Loans were the most controversial thing we were promoting - Hopefully we can restore the other campaigns - We're outrageously motivated to restore our once 'good standing' with Adwords (and say goodbye to those Personal Lenders, haha).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Coast
July 2017

Re: Account Suspension - Need Help!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Coast,

That is where you created a bigger problem. 

An agency or third party provider of services is suppose to create an AdWords Manager Account, then sync individual Adwords account to it. Each business/website must have their own AdWords account. This is a must. 

When operated as I state, not only does performance history stay isolated to each account (which greatly matters), so does suspensions and any issues. 

Campaigns were never meant to be used in the way you are using them. Neither were accounts or ad groups. 

Company A sells shoes = Their own AdWords account.

Company A promotes shoes on YouTube = Video Campaign.

Company A promotes shoes on Google Search = Search Campaign.

Company A promotes red sports shoes = Ad Group 1.

Company A promotes black dress shoes = Ad Group 2.

Company B sells balls = Their own AdWords Account.

Etc.

Company C sells boxes = Their own AdWords Account. 

Etc.

Because of the way you were structured, everything is suspended and will remain as such unless Google Support reverses their decision... which is done probably <10% of the time (just a rough guess as actual numbers cannot be disclosed). It's rare with your type of suspension. And having your account structured the way it is/was only added to the untrustworthy behavior status. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wow - Thank you so much for explaining a bit more about an 'Account Manager" Relationship.

We should have known better, especially at the level we were performing.

James, I really appreciate the info -

Makes perfect sense and quite frankly, I'm speechless that I never thought to manage the account in that manner.

I'll be sure to update the community once a decision is made.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Coast,

You are very welcome... and far from the only one using AdWords wrongly. I try to stay this info as much as possible since so many do not realize the ill effects (there are many) of mingling more than one business per account.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

James, 

I can't click 'like' more than once, which is quite unfortunate in this situation Smiley Very Happy

I hope that somebody/anybody can see this thread and learn from it, as I have. Avoid the growing pains...I wish I had been wise enough to see your previous posts.

Below: I wanted to spotlight our situation - Hopefully it helps!

To be transparent (and possibly to my own detriment, haha). I want to bring awareness and destroy a myth about spend vs grace. We have proudly spent over 1 million last year on Adwords and loved every moment - We were on track to spend more this year.

We weren't a random $10k/year client and certainly nowhere near elite spenders - Even with that history - Now we're a company begging to get back on Adwords.

Yet, through complacency - We failed to learn all the mechanics of an ad network and sundered ourselves (AND complicated local relationships).

A little about how we got here, as I think it's worthwhile content...Hopefully help others -

We were running 1 site for about a year, quite aggressively.

Afterwards, people began to approach me locally and ask for my services.

I gladly took their business and threw it into my mix of campaigns - **On One Account - Different Domains - Different Payments/Financiers

All campaigns were great, making fair money, but I was not seeing the big picture...

Obviously, Mistake  #1 - Keeping multiple sites under 1 account (not to mention the controversial nature of 1 site) Thanks to James for helping me/us understand that.

Additionally - Mistake Number 2 - We had a rep reach out to us regarding the account (Around May, 2 months ago), hoping to scale and guide us - unsolicited!

We ignored it and kept on doing what we do...(This is NOT what a person SHOULD do.) I could have gotten on the phone with him, explained what I was up to and gotten the whole system fixed! He could have told me exactly what James is saying & saved my business - but he didn't...because I sadly ignored him.

Mistake #3 - If you begin finding success with Adwords, or anything, become involved with the community. 

Reps, peers, conferences - Drifters don't establish trust or relationship. If I had visited this forum earlier, I would like to think we would have avoided this disaster.  I completely failed at reaching out in this community and live networking events. ad:Tech, ASE/ASW, Leadscon, Adobe Summit - Don't be afraid.

I'm 100% NOT looking for sympathy (We messed up) - I really think it's valuable for a 'medium sized' advertiser to speak up about weaknesses and what we could've done different - Hopefully to aide somebody and grow their business.

I know this is quite the ramble - But - I wanted to piggyback on what James mentioned.

There are a ton of Adwords users who think they're "Doing Great"...

I'm telling you, $1m advertiser here,  review your campaigns and learn COMPLETELY about Adwords. Do what I failed to do.

Thanks again for your help - Both James and Moshe!

TLDR: Readers - Always Keep LEARNING!!! If Adwords helps generate $72 per year or $900k per year, learn the important RULES of your business relationship & be honest. I let down my guard and now our business is feeling the pain - Doesn't matter how much you spend, respect for the rules is paramount. (Because Google has a long term vision for ad quality, which helps everybody, seriously.)