AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Account Suspension Frustration

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This has become a very frustrating issue. Many years ago I owned a business for a seminar company and was running an AdWords campaign for it. I guess, at some point Google decided that I was in violation of one of their policies and stopped my campaign. I sold the business about five years ago and am no longer affiliated with it in any way, shape, or form. I decided to open a new Adwords account for a current business photography business I own and not long after my campaign started, they shut down my current account because of my history with the other account. I appealed the issue, explaining to Google that I am not affiliated with the other business and haven't been for years. I have no desire to advertise for it nor do I even know anything about how the other business is operating. I got a response from someone the next day where it was obvious they didn't even read my email, rather they just sent me back a boiler-plate answer saying my website violated the Google TOS and for me to take a hike. 

I just got a rep in Google Chat to explain this situation to in person but the conversation just went in circles. They told me to become complaint I had to go fix the website. I told them I didn't own the website nor had any control over anything with that business. It would be like asking me to go fix something on the Microsoft website...I'm not Bill Gates. They just answered back that I had to go fix that website and didn't care that I'm not in any control over it. They just totally don't seem to understand that. So what can I do to fix this? I can't just call the current owners of the business and tell them to shut down operations forever so I can get my Adwords account turned on. They'd laugh in my face. There has to be a solution to this. Please help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Account Suspension Frustration

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well...You are not the only advertiser facing this situation / reality;

We had a case in which the advertiser had to re-buy the domain; fix the site (he did not have interest in), appealing to un-suspension and then "abandon the site again...

You could argue  the logic: However, Google is "hard as steel"  adhering to it.

The logic is that an advertiser has to verify compliance of a site promoted, prior to start advertising. If the advertiser promoted a site that did not comply - the advertiser would be responsible for the fix, or  face the consequences...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

The Google Rep is correct; Once a site linked to your account, (and) at one point, violated the Policy, it must be first fixed. "Releasing" the site (un-linking, selling, abandon ...etc...) is not an option;

You'll have to "gain control" over the domain, and fix the site before the account can be un-suspended.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

And how exactly am I supposed to go about that? Again, I guess I need to repeat this. I don't own the company. I'm not affiliated with the company. I don't even know who owns it. 

Think of it like this. Imagine I own a home for years and then sell it to you. I move to another state. Five years later, you commit a crime in the house...let's say you're cooking meth in the bathtub and you get caught. So rather than you go to jail, the police show up to my house and put me in jail because I once owned the house five years ago. It doesn't make any sense! 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well...You are not the only advertiser facing this situation / reality;

We had a case in which the advertiser had to re-buy the domain; fix the site (he did not have interest in), appealing to un-suspension and then "abandon the site again...

You could argue  the logic: However, Google is "hard as steel"  adhering to it.

The logic is that an advertiser has to verify compliance of a site promoted, prior to start advertising. If the advertiser promoted a site that did not comply - the advertiser would be responsible for the fix, or  face the consequences...

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Adam, I too would be discouraged if I were being charged for something that is out of my control but the infraction did occur while you had control of the site but you did not fix it and I guess this is what Google is focusing on.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

No, that's the thing. My account has been in perfect working order this whole time. My suspension came just the other day, not back when I owned the other business five years ago. Back then, the site was in compliance with Google policies. But because I had some old legacy ad in my account, that isn't running, they now are coming down on me. It's really stupid.

So yesterday I spent over an hour on the phone with Google Adwords staff and you know what they finally told me? Just go open another account and everything should be fine. I explained that eventually that would just get shut down too because it will get linked to this suspended account and they seemed to think it wouldn't. Truthfully, I think they were just patronizing me to get me off the phone because they didn't know what else to tell me, but wow is this whole thing really stupid.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have encountered the same issues too. They kick me like a ball and I can't use Adwords still. Well, I guess we are just a small player for them and they will ignore us. If we are a huge advertiser, perhaps they will talk to us.

N/A
# 8
N/A

It is about time Google sorted this mess out! why can't they check these issues out before letting ads go live and then tell you what you did wrong so you can put it right, with all the rules and regulations on Google you would need a multi million pound lawyer to check if you comply with all there policies, not only that if in there infinite wisdom 2 months down the line they change a policy it could put you right back to square one, there system is confusing to normal people who don't talk lawyer language, I know they don't need the money but they must be losing Billions from stopping people who genuinely just simply want to run a campaign but are new to how you do it all.

T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
T C
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Because they do not care about you that why!

I do not know why any of you still even want to use Google AdWords?

They treat us like garbage, and it is obviousvc by how they treat us that they could care less about our businesses or us because we are about 1% of their business. They only want advertisers that do not know how to use there service and use features like RON to waist your money like Coke, Pepsi that are do not care about a Return on there Investment because they are advertising for brand awareness and squander millions with no proof of REO!

Just look at there prices they charge per click!

Bing on the other hand will treat you with respect and will not suspend your account because you missed a buried rule in Google maze of advertising policy. Their traffic cost a lot less they might  have the amount of traffic as Google does but they have a heck of a lot and it converts great and you do not have the worry about your account getting suspended for no reason with no way of knowing why!

Look at Googles search results ! It is nothing but Amazon & Wikipedia on every result or some other major brands. The Lille guy doesn't stand a chance with Google .

The world is catching on to Google! Remember the Romans and what happened to them.

Businesses that treat their customers like garbage will soon fall from the top no matter how big you are ! The FCC is coming again to see them soon ! Mark my words..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the same problem. It is a completely illogical policy. There are two links I was advertising to over a year and a half ago that I no longer own or even have accounts with. They are not mine anymore and have since changed. Google wants me to add disclaimers to these links that have since changed long after I advertised to them. But I can't! They are no longer mine and I wouldn't advertise to them if I could.

And, yes, I get the same blanket/robotic answer - That the policy. It's completely illogical. People sell and transfer website and URLs all the time! No one should be accountable for a website they no longer own that they have not advertised to in years.