AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Account Suspended, hidden text / links

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

We are having an interesting situation with our account being suspended. We were originally told it was for cloaking, due to having google links and other links in header / footer that have since been replaced with Google Tag Manager. This did not clear up the issue and they have said we still have hidden links / text on our pages. I believe this is due to how we have built our website. Our website is majority image based but is also an e-commerce website. But, we have 3 different link and image types due to being so heavily image based. We have our site up for desktop, mobile and tablet. So when someone views one of these, the other 2 links and text for the other views are hidden. This is not meant to hide text, but for the ability to be responsive. Has anyone had this issue before? Or do you think this is not the issue?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Account Suspended, hidden text / links

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Cloaking is a severe violation. Once you are suspended due to cloaking slim chances that the account will be reinstated.

What was the reason for suspension mentioned in the email received from Google? (Look for this email - it is the key for understanding the issue)
Please share the URL of the site suspended.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello MosheTLV,

Thank you for the response! The URL of the site is mdcompleteskincare.com/. I am working with the client to get the email from Google about this issue and will respond back with what the message contained.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

Here is the response our client sent us:

We’ve heard back from Google that the primary reason for our AdWords suspension is that their system thinks our site is “cloaking” by including references to other sites on our pages “behind the scenes” without a reference to those sites that consumers can see.

For example we have code embedded on the home page referring to all of our Amazon Associates URLs (pasted below) without a reference to each of those Amazon pages that consumers can see on that page. I don’t know if that code is there because of our usage of Google Tag Manager or it is a remnant from before we started using Google Tag Manager but regardless we need to get all Amazon links removed from any page that does not have a visible reference to that specific Amazon page.

I’m also concerned about our recent addition of “redirect” URLs since those pages are invisible to consumers and take them to Amazon. They could also be problematic although I don’t know for sure. I would say if we keep using them we need them to stay up long enough for consumers to be able to read a short message along the lines of “redirecting to Amazon.com” but I appreciate your perspective as to how to handle them as well.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2604723?hl=en

So to summarize:

1. On the landing page with a “Buy on Amazon” link we should only include that specific tag in the code. Unless you know better each of the redirect pages needs to be visible to the consumer long enough so they can read the words “Redirecting to Amazon.com”. Alternatively if we are unsure we should stop using redirect URLs when sending users to Amazon until we better understand these implications.

2. On all other pages that do not have a “Buy on Amazon” link there should be zero tags in the code referring to Amazon.

Please get this taken care of and let me know once complete so we can resubmit the site to Google and get our AdWords account back up and running.

We have since removed all the Amazon links on the site, and contacted Google again but I believe they said there is still cloaking which we are not sure where unless it has to do with the 3 different view modes of mobile, tablet, and desktop since the site is mainly picture based and has to be layed out that way.

Any advice or insight?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Nick W;

You need the help of a programmer  to clean the code. Once cleaned, you can resubmit the site, though, chances of reinstating the account are slim. Cloaking is a severe violation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’