AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Account Suspended due to new June policies

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am in the middle of a circular email exchange with Yashwanth who doesn't seem to understand what I am saying.

My account was suspended because of adult advertisements that were no longer compliant with the June changes. I understand AdWords stopping those ads once the new rules go into effect, but suspending the account seems retroactively punitive.

What good does it serve anybody for Google wait for long-time advertisers to fall out of compliance and then chase after them with the ban hammer after the fact? Just stop the ads, send us warnings about the policy change, and let's move forward with a mutual understanding of the new rules. That's the reasonable thing to do.

So my circular email with Yashwanth is basically this...

Me: Hey, I understand my ads violated new AdWords policies and I am truly sorry. Can I get my account unsuspended so that I can advertise different products instead?
Yashwanth: Your ads violated policies. Fix your websites and suspension can be lifted.
Me: Yes I am aware of the violations, and I apologize. But I cannot change the websites, so I will never advertise those sites again. May I have my account unsuspended so that I can advertise different products instead?
Yashwanth: Your ads violated policies. Fix your websites and suspension can be lifted.

I mean... If there's room to lift the suspension by fixing the sites, I don't understand why it has to be difficult to lift the suspension with a clear understanding that those sites won't be advertised again.

Anybody else think suspensions are pretty harsh? Google changed their policies and I misunderstood the start date because of different communications mentioning June and September. My ads were fine and in compliance one day, then suddenly I'm suspended altogether. That's not necessary. I'm a longtime advertiser. Let's work together, AdWords.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Account Suspended due to new June policies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Quote:

>>"Me: Yes I am aware of the violations, and I apologize. But I cannot change the websites, so I will never advertise those sites again. May I have my account unsuspended so that I can advertise different products instead?

The Google Rep whom you spoke with is correct.

Fixing  the content of a site, prior to any appeal, is a long standing Policy of Google.

Unless you fix the content you will not be able to advertise with Google;

A colleague of ours @AdWiser once said: "do not advertise a site you have no control over its content"...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sure, I understand that changing the site can remove the suspension, but I don't understand why that is the only solution. Not advertising the sites anymore would seem equally viable to any reasonable person given that the circumstances involve new policy changes, not violations of longstanding ones.

Further, some of the "violating" ads were deleted and hadn't even been run in years, making the punishment all the more retroactively punitive.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The logic / reason behind is Google's "safe web concept": advertisers should have responsibility for the content they promote on the web. . Abandoning a website is not the solution Google is after. According to Google, you should first fix the site before being admitted again as an advertiser.

You could argue about this principle  / method. However, these are the rules.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I absolutely have responsibility for what I promote. 100% agree. I simply ask for leniency and understanding considering this is a policy change. Wholesale suspensions disrupt all business proceedings, including non-adult, that doesn't do anybody any good.

Google's only answer for adult sites is "don't be adult sites anymore." Even if you stop the ads because you can't blow up your business to match Google's whimsy, they still punish you regardless. It's like being in Catholic school all over again.

Speaking further about responsibility, my responsibility for 2-3 year old ads and sites ended 2-3 years ago when I stopped owning and advertising them. Any reasonable person would argue against the notion that advertisers are retroactively responsible for content YEARS removed from their ownership, responsibility or promotion. But I got hammered for that too anyway.

My argument is, make whatever rules you want, just don't treat good, longstanding, profitable advertisers like disposable garbage because you changed your mind. The punishment has been all around over the top for a policy change.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

We have seen several cases with long suspension, due to account owner unable / unwilling to fix the site in violation.
What I don't understand is why can't you fix the site?

It seems that the violation goes back 2-3 years ago, when you abandoned the site, instead of fixing it, and, technically, the violation is still registered under your account.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For clarity, there are 3 situations here:

1. Sites I own.
2. Sites I promoted but don't own.
3. Sites I owned/promoted in the past.

As an advertiser I am responsible for 1 and 2. No question. I've only asked for leniency and understanding with regard to the punishment due to the situation (a policy change).

For #3, the sites were sold as far back as 3 years ago. That's why I can't change them (not mine to change). I stopped and deleted the ads at the same time on my own. They were fully compliant with policies at the time they were running.

Fast forward to present day. I got smacked with over a dozen AdWords emails all at once on June 30 until I got the suspension email. The *vast* majority of violations, as confirmed by Yashwanth, all fall under #3. The violations aren't 2-3 years old. They're only 10 days old because they don't comply with new end-of-June policies.

In short, I was suspended for previously-compliant ads that have long been deleted. That's why I say the suspension is retroactively punitive.

Hence, my frustration and call for some more rationality.

As a footnote, I want to make sure it's understood what happened with the June changes. Most adult sites can't be changed because it would completely blow up their business. It's like Google telling a bakery that baked goods are no longer allowed, and say they have to sell something else instead by a certain deadline or else risk being banned from the network, even if they stop advertising the baked goods.

That's exactly what happened. Google's only answer to adult sites is to not be adult sites anymore by their deadline, and that they were still at risk even if ads were stopped (evidenced by my own suspension and as explained by Yashwanth unless he was confused or something was lost in translation). The adult advertisers are trapped in a no-win situation, and that's why I think fair-minded leniency with regard to punishments for June policy changes is not unreasonable.

Sorry for the long-windedness, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Smiley Happy I appreciate the time you've spent trying to sort it out too. lol.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Well... I don't think we are on the same page Smiley Surprised

Two points to underline:

If at the time, in which you unlinked the URL from the account, the URL was in compliance (according to the Policy which was in effect at that time) - then,  this was not the reason for suspension.
Suspension due to Landing page, corresponds to the Policy revisions in effect  while the URL is linked to the account. Thus, I would urge you to double-check the reason for suspension.

If you cannot fix the sites - you will not be able to advertise with Google. As said, this is a firm Policy. No waivers.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If by "unlinked the URL from the account" you mean marked as deleted, I don't know what to tell you. You seem sure that previously compliant ads/sites marked as deleted wasn't the reason for suspension, but Yashwanth seems sure it was by listing them. If this doesn't sound right to you, then we are on the same page. Smiley Happy It didn't smell right to me either.

It was a change in firm policy that brought me here. I know Google is more rational than that.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

By "unlinking" I mean  someone else took over the domain, and now the URL is being promoted by someone else. (You said:  "#3. Sites I owned/promoted in the past".)

Abandoning the URL, deleting it,  the account does not fix the violation.