AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Abnormal Ad headline length. Why?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Folks,

I happened to see this search ad below:

case.PNG

It seems the Ad headline has more than 30 characters..If you count it from "Teach...your country".

And I believe this sentence is the headline not the first description line because the domain only appears after headline. So why my ad headline only is restricted to 25 characters? My targeting location is Hong Kong.

Thanks for your time!

Jason 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
October 2015

Re: Abnormal Ad headline length. Why?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Sure, no problem Smiley Happy

Hummm I haven't heard about special feature for Grants, so I couldn't tell...

But, some advertisers use DSA for pages that are not on their website, this could be one case, or, as Moshe said, maybe it's Google testing out some new layouts.

There are tons of betas rolling out, who knows...

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Jason, how are things?

Hong Kong is part of the regions list that can use longer text Ads, which is probably why you're seeing that Ad. More info here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704441

Also, longer ads titles/descriptions happen when using Dynamic Search Ads campaigns (DSA) or Keyword Insertion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Or Google is testing another version / format for ads in the 3 top positions...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @leandrofm

Thanks for popping out so quickly!

• I'm aware of the feature "About longer text ads for Eastern Europe and Asia" but I'm afraid not this casesince it only allows headline up to 30 characters. In the case I attached it's 34 characters..
  • It's not Keyword Insertion either because I search the keyword "Teach Abroad" as you can see the bold part reflect it..
  • It is probably not Dynamic Search as well - I just check their whole site - None of the page contain the page title or content as "Pick Your Country"..

The advertiser seems are using Adwords Grant. Do they have the special features like that?

Thanks,

Jason

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
October 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Sure, no problem Smiley Happy

Hummm I haven't heard about special feature for Grants, so I couldn't tell...

But, some advertisers use DSA for pages that are not on their website, this could be one case, or, as Moshe said, maybe it's Google testing out some new layouts.

There are tons of betas rolling out, who knows...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Oh yeah.. I understand it's always some testing going on.

But just to be fair, these betas make everyhing less transparent, don't they? Stuff Like Ad Rank, or quality score are complicated enough to master, and a simple word beta will make this even fraustrated.

Thank you anyway!

Jason

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jason,

In HK you can run 30 Char Headlines & 76 Character Description Line 1 & Description Line 2. (38each)

You can check this Text Ads.

"This is what it says in the section What You Can Do -

Check your ad's headline, description lines, and display URL to see where you exceeded the character limits.

• Exception: You can request longer ads if your ad is targeting these countries: Azerbaijan, Belarus, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russian Federation, South Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, or Uzbekistan."

For Longer Ads Go To This URL

The process is simple -

1.Go To Ads Tab> Click new Ad > Scroll Below To Click on + next to Character limits for ads targeting Eastern European and Asian countries.

2. Just Tick The Checkbox in The Ads Tab to Allow you to Create Larger Text Ads.

Hope this helps!Man Happy

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
I am agreed with @MosheTLV suggestion. As both the Headline as well as the description lines are beyond the exceeded limit (Limit offered for longer ads)

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’