AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

ALWAYS get low Ad Rank on ALMOST every keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been running campaigns successfully over the last 6 years.

Couple of weeks ago, noticed a decreasing of visitors and clicks.

Have checked the bubble, and I always get the following error:

"Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now because of a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score.". Have checked the Ad Preview and Diagnosis, and maybe 90% of my keywords are showing this error.

- Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now because of a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score. What can I do?

Quality score - Learn more
10/10

I have searched and searched, and there are multiple customers with same problem. Everybody says, Ok, look at your AdRank.. and they are all above 7, usually 9 or 10. All ads are showing as number one or two, competitors are gone or not bidding as much. I have most keywords with high bid. I have sitelinks also.

What the hell is going here ? What can I do to sort it out?

Thanks !

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If your QS is high, then the best option is to increase the bid...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello MosheTLV,

Thanks for your reply.

Even if my ads are showing as number one among aLL competitors !?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well.. There is some confusion here. Smiley Surprised

The error message is "Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now because of a low Ad Rank.".

If the ad is not triggered, this  means no impressions - the ad is not shown....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Along with what Moshe has stated, I would suggest creating some new ads. Ads can become stale.

Note: keyword quality score of 7 is not ad rank of 7.

A value that's used to determine your ad position (where ads are shown on a page) and whether your ads will show at all. Ad Rank is calculated using your bid amount, the components of Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats.

• Ad Rank determines your ad position -- where your ad shows on the page in relation to other ads -- and whether your ads are eligible to show at all.
  • The main components of your Ad Rank are your bids and the quality of your ads and website. We also incorporate the expected impact from your extensions and other ad formats when computing your Ad Rank. When estimating the expected impact of extensions and ad formats, we consider such factors as the relevance, clickthrough rates, and the prominence of the extensions or formats on the search results page. So even if your competition has higher bids than yours, you can still win a higher position at a lower price by using highly relevant keywords and ads.
  • Your Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear and competes in an auction, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

You could start to test this by simply pausing the lowest performing ad in each ad group and adding in one new ad with different terminology.

We worked on a campaign that had similar metrics as yours and with the same message about the ads... and after everything was said and done, we ended up simply replacing all of the ads in a cycle (one ad per day per ad group) and we ended up with the message gone, CTR up by 60% and cost per interaction down by 25%.  

Open up the URL landing page for the ad group and print out a list of the ad groups's keywords... and use that data to dream up new ad copy. Or take the highest performing ad and copy and paste it and adjust a few words and see what happens. And be sure to use every possible ad extension.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your tips James. Started out trying new ads, although they are fairly recent (2 or 3 months old).

Really weird stuff. Using Ad Preview and Diagnosis, and putting down the best performing keyword, if I click preview 10 times, 5 will show my ad, and other 5 will not show the ad, with the given error: Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now because of a low Ad Rank.

Will this also confirm your idea?

Re: ALWAYS get low Ad Rank on ALMOST every keyword

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Gonçalo F,

You are very welcome. 

No, that would not confirm for myself that the ads need reworked. If all of the ads are only a few months old, they should not be stale... although the system could certainly need/want new & better ads. I would ad in new ads and make sure there are roughly three ads per ad group that are very relevant to your URL landing page and keywords.

I would review the "Exp. CTR" of each keyword. You would add this data through the Columns tab (like I mentioned previously). Columns/Modify columns/quality score/Exp. CTR.  This is one part of the equation. 

From there, you have to carefully analyse the rest of the components that makes up the ad rank, since this is where your issue is at according to the system.

• Ad Rank determines your ad position -- where your ad shows on the page in relation to other ads -- and whether your ads are eligible to show at all.
  • The main components of your Ad Rank are your bids and the quality of your ads and website. We also incorporate the expected impact from your extensions and other ad formats when computing your Ad Rank. When estimating the expected impact of extensions and ad formats, we consider such factors as the relevance, clickthrough rates, and the prominence of the extensions or formats on the search results page. So even if your competition has higher bids than yours, you can still win a higher position at a lower price by using highly relevant keywords and ads.
  • Your Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear and competes in an auction, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So here is some feedback of minimal changes done yesterday:

On my best performing adgroup, created a new ad, with minimal changes from previous one and duplicated the bid on the best performing keyword (already number one earlier).

Results:

- CTR of this keyword average is 10%, today was 28% so far

- Old AD had average CTR from this Adgroup around 3%-4% and today new Ad, almost similar to the old one, has more than 10% CTR average on this adgroup.

So, it seems be working. Other reason for this to be happening could it be because of the budget? I have a daily budget of approx $250 per day, and my funds are not limited, although my keywords are somehow competitive and I have both Search+DN enabled on all campaigns.

Could adwords be showing low adrank when budget is gone and no ads are shown whatsoever on each day?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Check (lost) impression share due to rank and budget.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks.

I have 30% lost IS on my best performing keyword, and 23% overall lost IS on my best performing adgroup. How to optimize this? Increase bid and daily budget?

Also, is there any way of separate bid for search and DP ? I can have $5 bid on search but I don't want that so high on DP...