AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys, 

So we are trying to advertise a wordpress theme built site by submitting adwords advertisements but our ad's keep getting suspended, anyone have any idea why? 

From feedback I received from Support it seems to be picking up 404 errors but that doesn't make sense to me as we have these sites built and if you travel to them natively you can assess them. 

Anyone have some experience working with adwords and wordpress? 

Help would be appreicated. 

Tim

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ADWORDS and Wordpress

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tim, I've used AdWords with Wordpress on a number of occasions and never had a problem, so I don't think there's any fixed issue between the two.

Have you tried clicking on the Ad headline itself within your Account, rather than navigating manually to the site?  It's worth checking the exact links being used.

How new is the site/Account?  What I have seen in many Accounts (not just those using WordPress) are unreachable URLs that simply resolve themselves over time.  It's possible you'll find these disapprovals simply stop once AdWords has had a number of successful hits.

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: ADWORDS and Wordpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jon,

Thank you so much for the reply.

The adwords account is only about 2 weeks old but the site has been on the wordpress infrastructure for about 6-8 months now (so I wouldn’t classify that as new).

What’s interesting to note is that when I look at Search Console, the crawler reports almost every link as 404 (Not Found), but when I fetch as google, its fetching and displays the site without any issues.

Kind regards,

Timothy Griesel (Digital Dynamo)

Mobile: +27 82 466 9716 | Switchboard: +27 10 100 3127 | Fax: +27 86 655 1567 | tim@nextgen.co.za | www.nextgen.co.za

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run ads for and build all of my landing pages on wordpress, I've never had this issue, it's very interesting! I agree with Jon when it comes to clicking the actual ad headline within your adwords account, this is the best way to test the link.

Since it looks like you're having more issues than just with adwords when it comes to the 404 error, have you tried posting this issue on the webmaster forums? 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Good luck!

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Tim,

If this helps any, the site in your signature, which redirected to another site, nextgenholding.co.za, took about 30 seconds before the site started to load. I'm in Australia. You can get 404s from slow-loading sites that are actually there.

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rob, 

It is another site and not the one in my signature Smiley Happy but it is still slow. 

I got handed the site on Monday to have a look at and to try and fix. 

Looks like the site was blacklisted by Google in 2009 for malware and that ban is still being applied. 

Site is clean now though so looks like I need to clear the site with google, any tips on this? 

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Alexa, 

I did that in the beginning and the link works perfect, links directly to the page I need. Smiley Happy 

Looks like it's a malware issue and not just a link issue Smiley Happy 

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Just contact AdWords Support and tell them that the site is now clean.

ADWORDS and Wordpress

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rob

They happy with the site now but I'm still getting a 404 error. 

Seems I may need to contact the domain host and see if there are any referrer URLissues on the server.