AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

AD status Limited due to Trademark

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm using branded keyword "Shangri La"as a keyword and in Adcopy Headline text. Also add domain.com/shangri-la/resort/ in display URL. Destination URL also have the keyword. 

AD status show "Limited due to Trademark"

How to solve this? What are the limitations of using Brand names in Adwords ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandaruwan S
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

When a trademark owner submits a trademark complaint, they provide a list of the terms they want to protect. They likely didn't include that variation, which is why you can use it.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

In general, if the trademark owner has filed a trademark complaint, Google will keep anyone they did not specifically authorize to use their name from using their name in ads. You need to have that trademark owner specifically let Adwords know your account can use the name.

However, there is a reseller and informational provision. I know because an airline client has tried to get some "resellers" to stop using their trademark, but because the landing page looks informational, we had no success, even though you can only purchase directly through the client's site.

Here is a link to the policy. If you fall into that category, you may be able to get approval. Best thing to do is get the trademark owner to tell Google you are allowed, as this may be an issue you run into often.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Best of luck

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @David

Its not totally blocked. Status is Approved (limited).

Somehow I use Shangri's Resort instead Shangri La Resort and manage to get away.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandaruwan S
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

When a trademark owner submits a trademark complaint, they provide a list of the terms they want to protect. They likely didn't include that variation, which is why you can use it.