AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

A few facts about the AdWords Trademark Policy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

My name is Raga, and I’ve been working with the AdWords Support team for the last few years. I’d like to discuss today about the trademark complaint and authorization process - a topic we often receive queries about.

Google takes issues related to trademark infringement very seriously, and has a Trademark policy in place to protect the interests of trademark owners. If you’d like us to monitor the use of your trademarks in AdWords ads, all you need to do is submit a trademark complaint to us by filling up this form. Please keep in mind the following points with regard to trademark complaints:

• Each trademark complaint is reviewed by our Trademarks team, and only if a complaint is accepted will the trademark be monitored. You’ll receive an email notification with the status of your complaint.
  • We only monitor the exact term(s) specified in the complaint. If you’d like us to monitor variations of your trademark, please be sure to mention all variations in the complaint.
  • We only monitor the use of trademarks in ads, not within the website content or the URL name. Also, we monitor the use of trademarks in AdWords  ads, not in search results. Remember, Google only organizes the content on the web; it does not control its content.

Let’s now look at what you need to do if you aren’t the trademark owner or an authorized entity per the trademark complaint, but want to use a trademark in your ads. You need to contact the trademark owner and have them submit this authorization form to us. Once you have the authorization, just resubmit the ads, and the ads should get approved (unless, of course, they violate any other advertising policy).

You might wonder why you need to obtain authorization when you are already authorized to sell the product. This is simply because our system has no way to automatically understand that there is an agreement between you and the trademark owner, and that you are authorized to use the term. Direct authorization from the trademark owner via the form mentioned above is necessary to indicate to the system that the account belongs to an authorized party.

If you notice an ad containing a trademark on our search or display network, most likely, the ad belongs to an authorized entity, or has qualified for approval under the reseller exception.

If you’d like your ads to be approved under this exception, you must ensure that the trademark contained in the ad features prominently on the landing page in text format. Ads approved under this exception will show as ‘Approved (limited)’ in the AdWords UI and will receive full visibility. However, this exception is available only in select countries, and approval under this exception depends on various factors. Therefore, we recommend that you get the trademark owner’s authorization instead, as this is the most effective and proactive way to prevent ads from being disapproved for trademark.

Hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to post any questions you may have on this topic, and I’ll be happy to answer them.

Raga

---
Note: Since this is a community forum, I will not be able to comment on account specific issues.  Feel free to email us via the ‘Contact Us’ link in the AdWords Help Center if you have any account specific concerns.

Re: A few facts about the AdWords Trademark Policy

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thank you, Raga, for your post.
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My Ads containing the word "VMware" are suspended but I can see the other competitors are using the word "VMware" and their ads are running fine with "VMware"

How come policy is different for different people

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One more thing I would like to mention is that if the word "VMware" Trade mark is conflicting with google policies how come my ads were running from past 6 months? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gulame,

Thanks for your question. As mentioned in my post, ads containing a trademarked term may be approved for various reasons, the most important of them being - the trademark owner may have authorized them to use the trademark, or the ads may have qualified under the reseller exception. Unfortunately, I cannot discuss account specific issues here. So please feel free to write in via the 'Contact us' button on the AdWords Help Center (https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en) and we'll be happy to investigate why your ads may have been disapproved.