AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

A/B Testing Different Landing Pages in Same Ad Group?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Charvi,

Do you know if I can use the same ad group and just duplicate the ads (except for a different landing page/dest. url within the same site), marking the old ads "control" and the new ones "experiment"? Or do I, as someone at 866-2GOOGLE recommended setting them up as distinct ad groups, marking the old one "control" and the new one "experiment"?

The only issue with the latter is if I adjust bids, I must do it in both ad groups' keyword lists since they are duplicate and I want the results to be accurate.

Thanks for any tips.

Jill

3 Expert replyverified_user

A/B Testing Different Landing Pages

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I'm going to use the same Display URLs for some ads but want to run duplicate-except-for-a-different-landing-page ads 50/50 with the old ones. Do I set these up as different ad groups,_one the control and other the experiment? If so I'm using the same keywords in each ad group. If I want to make bid adjustments I have to adjust them in both lists, correct?

However, can I more easily set up these duplicate ads (except for the destination URL) which go to the same domain (i.e. www.test.com/bubblegum and www.test.com/bubblegum-2) and therefore have only one keyword list to deal with?

When I spoke with a Googler they recommended the former and told me to make sure the control ads are marked control-only and the new ads marked experiment-only. That leaves the keywords to be both control and experiment.

Thanks.

Re: A/B Testing Different Landing Pages in Same Ad Group?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jill,
You can do it both ways. Personally, I'd do it the way that you originally wanted to do it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Another way to do this is to run an experiment within Google Analytics... pretty simple to set up and you can get better control of the amount of the traffic you send to the test page. Google also run the stats to see if the results are statistically significant...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve, with the Content Experiments from Analytics I was never able to find a setting to A/B/N test landing page variations just for paid traffic. Where is this setting ?

Basically it seems to me that if the landing pages for the AdWords ads are not completely isolated from the site , the experiment allows all traffic not just paid and it cannot be segmented.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
If your landing pages are only accessible through AdWords that really isn't an issue...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , true. But not all AdWords landing pages are without inbound links from other pages. I was hoping there was a setting somewhere to limit the experiment to paid traffic.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Nope - as far as I know there isn't such a setting.

but - let's not lose sight of the objective here - it is to test the landing pages, not the AdWords campaigns - if there is some leakage from other sources that is not really a problem - in fact it could be seen as a more reliable test since it levels out some of the influences that might creep in if the traffic were limited only to Adwords traffic.

Page improvements and optimizations should ideally work for all traffic...

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Thanks. Have you done it before? Are the stats as clear?

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner
Thanks, stickleback.