AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

50 Negative keyword limit on Display Network?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was told by a Google rep that there is a 50 negative keyword limit on the Display Network, is this true? 

It would seem strange as you can load as many negatives as you want. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karl R
September 2015

Re: 50 Negative keyword limit on Display Network?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Karl R;

Reading your follow up question,  I rephrased, a bit, my initial reply;

On the display network, in general only broad match  is used.

When using negative keywords, the system will look for these  terms in the text (of the page), and if found, will exclude those pages.  So, on any given topic, basically, there is a set of keywords used (which define a  theme), that if you add them, as negatives, then the pages which contain these  terms, are excluded.

However, keep in mind, that this is not perfect. This is the reason I used  "impressions reduced" and not "excluded". And hence, I prefer on the  display network, to target "direct" (using relevant keywords)  rather than  exclusion (by using negative keywords).

I hope this explains better.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again @Karl R;

Negative keywords on the display network will  "reduce" the impressions of ads shown on pages which have these terms in the text. Basically, you could identify the major 8-10 terms (i.e keywords)  that adding them, will exclude your ad.

To set  a negative theme, 8-12 keywords would be enough. (e.g. For home  insurance promotion: if  a "catastrophic disaster coverage"   for home insurance  is not offered, 8-10  keywords / terms, which  commonly used to define the theme of " catastrophic disaster coverage" would do,  to exclude the ad from pages with content about  this coverage.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe, yes I understand that will work for display campaigns where it's the collective theme of the keywords rather than the individual keywords themselves that are important. But what about search campaigns for YouTube? Do keywords simply work together create a theme or can you target individual keywords like a standard search campaign?

Thanks again for your help here!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karl R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Karl R;

Reading your follow up question,  I rephrased, a bit, my initial reply;

On the display network, in general only broad match  is used.

When using negative keywords, the system will look for these  terms in the text (of the page), and if found, will exclude those pages.  So, on any given topic, basically, there is a set of keywords used (which define a  theme), that if you add them, as negatives, then the pages which contain these  terms, are excluded.

However, keep in mind, that this is not perfect. This is the reason I used  "impressions reduced" and not "excluded". And hence, I prefer on the  display network, to target "direct" (using relevant keywords)  rather than  exclusion (by using negative keywords).

I hope this explains better.

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciated. One thing I am confused with now is this seems to be happening across YouTube Search campaigns, I guess they are treated as Display? However I don't think this should be the case as it is search requests not content which trigger the ads here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Karl R;

I see your point, however, Google says that:  "On the Display Network, keywords are treated as broad match"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Search terms (on YouTube)  are matched with the "theme" of the keywords, and based on that ads  are shown next to YouTube search results. (For example, I am a fan of commercial airplanes. If I search on YouTube  "planes landing at JFK", I get to see next to the  suggested videos, ads  to book flight to various destinations.)