AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

30 Character Ad Headlines?? Dynamic Keyword Insertion Glitch/Bug!!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Spoke on phone to someone yesterday from AdWords team to report this bug/glitch. Thought I would pop a post in here too so people can see it in action, which may help engineers fix it :-)

The Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) tool is allowing advertisers to have 28+ character headlines to their adverts, While the rest of us that write relevant and enticing ads manually are stuck with the usual 25 :-(

Please see below screenshot:

AdWords Headline Bug

(open image in new tab/window for clearer view) Count the characters in the ad headlines!

I think it may have something to do with the plurals/synonyms update.

Happy Advertising!

All the best

Spike Patching

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 30 Character Ad Headlines?? Dynamic Keyword Insertion Glitch/Bug!!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Spike,

That is an interesting catch. However I dont think it is voilating Google policies or is any kind of glitch. It will continue to show these ads in some cases. If you read the warning text that comes in adwords editor that pops up everytime your headline goes beyond 25 characters then it says:

"Warning: Your ad headline is longer than the 25-charater lenght for text ads in campaigns targeting most locations. Please consider shortening your ad headline to 25 Charactersor fewer."

They are saying "Consider to shorten your lenght" it is not Mandatory to shorten. This means they are not rejecting your ad with longer headline but will not be able to show your ads all the time. It should be noted that after 30 characters it just dosen't allow to upload ads even. So I gues that is the real limit.

The interesting question however would be how much our ads will be restricted if we continue to go beyond 25 character limit. I guess that can only be answered by any of the Google's employees!

Thanks,

Rajat

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

The reason Editor accepts ads beyond the usual limits is this. Longer ads are allowed in some countries, and Editor doesn't know whether you are planning to target one of those counties. So it puts up a warning once you exceed "normal" limits, and an error when you exceed "extended" limits. Hence "campaigns targeting most locations" wording in the warning message.

To the best of my knowledge, longer ads are not supposed to serve outside of those "special" countries. But I must admit I'm not an expert on ad serving. I can only speak with confidence for Editor.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bossbuild,

Actually, the reason why they are showing 30 characters is because they are using dynamic keyword insertion, and Adwords will sometimes allow extra characters if you are using that. (Try it Smiley Happy )

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Igor,

Can you please provide the list those Special countries?

Atleast we can utilise the extended limits for those countries.

Info

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

The list is in the help article I linked to the last time. Here's this link again:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704441

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello Igor,

Thank you for the list.

But one interesting thing here.

The list clearly mentions for Eastern Europe and Asia.

UK in not in the list. Just had a look at the image in the original post. Most of the advertisers with long headlines have UK websites (co.uk) (and the pages are from UK).

@Spike - please confirm where did you take the screenshot.

That means a few advertisers are using an Editor option to push longer ads, and some how the ads are showing in countries which are not designated 'Special' countries.

Interesting Smiley Happy.

Info

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

Thank you for the responses and Info you are correct, the longer ad headline list does not include the UK and according to everything I've read the ads should not be showing in the UK.

Countries that allow longer text ads

You can create longer text ads if you're targeting these countries:

• Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • China
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Russian Federation
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan

These are to allow for special characters.

Below is another screen shot with London, UK set and my location (I live in the UK, My ISP is British Telecom, London is default when loading Google)

I think it's either just the DKI feature allowing this or it's the DKI feature used in combination with broad match modifier.

For example:

Keyword in account: +waterproof +mattress +protectors

Headline: {KeyWord:Mattress Protectors}

Desc. Line1: Free UK Delivery on Everything 

Desc. Line2:  Sale On - Up to 40% Off Protectors

Display URL: www.duvetandpillowwarehouse.co.uk/

Resulting in:

Hope that helps :-)

Spike